Sunday, June 28, 2015

Book Review: Adventures and Adversities by Sarah Holman



     One day Alditha is content living with her family, the next she is taking her friend's place to serve at the king’s castle. Her father's final instructions, to keep smiling and to do what is right, will be harder to live out than she ever imagined. She will face a royal nephew who delights in making people miserable, an angry servant girl who will stop at nothing to get what she wants, and noblemen who plot murder. Will she be able to keep the promise she made to her father? Will she find the faith she longs for during all her Adventures and Adversities?

     Personally I would give this book a solid 3 stars. It had enough plot to keep me interested but not a book I would read again.

     The skill of the writing wasn't the best. In honesty it was rather childish and there were tons of cliches. The leading guy was boring. I mean he was a great guy, he had all the values that a good gal would be looking for but he had no personality. I understand what point Ms. Holman was trying to get across theology wise but I feel like it was done badly. It was oversimplified and end result came across as if the character's were saying that God gave us sadness. I understand that sadness is an important part off life but God did not give us sadness. That was a result of Adam and Eve's sin. What the author was attempting to get across was that it's not bad to be sad when bad things happen but it wasn't done well at all. Also it was really not as dramatic and exciting as the description made it look.


     So no, I did not think the writing skill was very good but I did like the book. It just wasn't one I would spend my time on again. Still a hearty good job to the writer for all the work she put into this book I really did enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Widow of Larkspur Inn

When Life Seemed Its Worst, Gresham Awaited Julia Hollis' opulent life in Victorian London crashes to pieces when her husband pass...